Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review-Eclipse

Eclipse (Twilight, #3)Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Finally finished Eclipse aka The One in Which Edward Remains Dull, Bella Remains Pitiful, and Jacob Remains Awesome.

So it took me almost a month to read this book, not because it wasn't good, but because I haven't had a lot of time to read lately. I usually try to read at least a chapter in a book before I go to bed, but these books have like 25+ pages in a chapter and that's just not gonna happen without me falling asleep. So it was slow going, but I'm finally done!

So, this is now my favorite in the Twilight series. Bella is still a pathetic shell of a girl. I hate how she's always so angry at Charlie and Jacob for stuff, but when Edward does something (like taking parts out of her truck so she wouldn't be able to visit Jacob and bribing Alice to baby-sit her) she's quick to forgive him. She has no backbone whatsoever when it comes to him.

Jacob, as I said, remains awesome in every way, except his one tragic flaw, that he's in love with Bella. I really cannot understand this at all, since she's as dull as dishwater, he needs someone as feisty and vivacious as he is.

We find out Rosalie's backstory in this book, which was very interesting. I already liked Rosalie (since she can't stand Bella) and her backstory made me want to learn more about her. We also find out Jasper's backstory, which I didn't enjoy as much, and it kinda dragged the story a bit. It does set up the whole conflict with the newborns and all, but I found that whole part of the story kind of meh.

I also really liked the fight scene between Victoria and Riley, and Edward and Seth. I typically don't like these scenes (see: fight with James in Twilight and then the Volturi nonsense in New Moon) but it was actually quite interesting in this one. We also meet the character of Bree Tanner, one of the newborns. She was intriguing enough to make me want to pick up and read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (not any time soon, though.)

My favorite scene though, was the part where Bella, Edward, and Jacob are in the tent during their "camping" trip or whatever it was, and Jacob has to keep Bella warm throughout the night. I loved the whole part. Jacob is so cool, he even made those two Dull Dorises semi-interesting.

The ending of the story came as no surprise, since I am semi-spoiled for Breaking Dawn. I get that Bella is so in love because Edward is OMG, just the most beautifulest vampire evah!!!! but I just don't get why she's so willing to give up her human life to become a vampire. Well, I guess I can understand. She treats all the people in her life (Charlie, Renee, her friends at school) like dog doo that got smeared on the bottom of her shoe, so I guess it's no wonder that she'd rather spend all of eternity with her beloved Cullen clan. Me, personally, I couldn't give up Cokes and chocolate to live off blood for the rest of my life, no matter how fine that man is.

Anywhoo, so I loved this one and can't wait to watch the movie this weekend!



View all my reviews

Source: borrowed from a friend
Challenges: 100 Books in a Year, Young Adult Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment