Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Review-Mama Dearest

Mama DearestMama Dearest by E. Lynn Harris

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I read a few E. Lynn Harris books years ago (Invisible Life, As I Am, and something else) so I was somewhat familiar with Harris' writing styles and his characters. This book is about Yancy Braxton, a former Broadway diva who is struggling to get back on top of the game. Derailing her plans is her mother, Ava, who has recently been released from prison.

The story is very slow moving, although it does make you want to keep reading to see what Ava's plans are for Yancy and just how low she will go. I wasn't a fan of any of the characters, especially Madison B. I'm not sure why, I just didn't like her at all.

There were also a couple of grammatical errors such as tense changes in the same scene (one second it's in the past tense, the very next sentence it's in the present tense), things like that drive the English major in me crazy.

All in all, not a bad book, it just takes awhile to get into. I might have enjoyed it more if I had read the previous books about Yancy right before this one.



View all my reviews

Source: Library
Challenges: Outdo Yourself, Support Your Local Library

3 comments:

  1. thanx for the follow!! I will definitely be checking on this blog as I am an avid reader!! I will be doing book reviews on my blog as well!
    www.style4curves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE to read so I'm happy to follow your blog and read your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book and I just couldn't get into it..
    I'm also on goodreads

    http://krysmonique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete