Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Review-Work What You Got

Work What You Got (Beta Gamma Pi)Work What You Got by Stephanie Perry Moore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book is about a college sophomore named Hayden who is excited about starting her sophomore year at Western Smith College with her 3 best friends, Myra, Bridget, and Chandra.



The one thing Hayden wants most of all is to join the sorority Beta Gamma Pi and all of her friends had decided to join, too, until they finally get on campus and all of a sudden, none of her friends want to join BGP anymore.



This book was ok. There was a lot going on, some of which just seemed like too much. First there was all the hazing when Hayden was on line. I've never joined a sorority or wanted to, so maybe I just didn't understand, but why would she and all the girls want to put up with all of that? And then I think the character of Big Keisha Mean Machine was just way over the top, especially with the whole choking incident and then the peanut butter.



I thought some things were kinda unbelieveable, like how after making the sorority and the current sorority girls becoming suspended, Hayden automatically becomes the chapter president. Again, I don't really know how sororities work, but I don't think a new sophomore could just automatically be thrust into that kind of leadership role. I guess I'm too assume this is just a small-town based sorority. Then the whole thing with Trisha stealing the money and Bea was another over the top character.



As for Hayden and her crush, Creed, I really didn't feel any connection between them either. At the beginning of the story we're told they met each other last year and already liked each other. I would've liked to see their friendship/courtship progress a but before they were suddenly all bf/gf.



All in all, I give this a generous three stars as it did keep me mildly entertained and I do kinda want to read the next book in the series, which is about a character not even mentioned in this book, but that's a good thing because I didn't really like many of the characters. It was just a bit too all over the place with characters that didn't really seem true to life.



View all my reviews

Source: Library
Challenges: 100 Books in 2011, 2011 YA Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment