Friday, March 16, 2012

Review Roundup

A couple of quick reviews of two books I finished in the past couple of weeks.


SilencedSilenced by Kia DuPree

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I enjoyed this story about a young girl (Tinka) growing up in a bad neighborhood. Her mother struggles with trying to keep Tinka on the straight path, along with keep her older sons out of trouble and the family from living on the streets. To complicate things is mom's live-in boyfriend whom Tinka doesn't like. I didn't care too much for the mom (and I cannot remember her name at all right now), but I did enjoy reading about the other characters.



View all my reviews

Source: Library
Challenge: Outdo Yourself Challenge, Support Your Local Library


A Stolen LifeA Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I don't typically read memoirs or any non-fiction, but ever since I saw some fellow teachers recommending this book, I wanted to check it out. It did not even seem like a non-fiction book, due to the horrific things Jaycee Dugard had to go through, it made me wish it were fiction.

Jaycee relays all the terrible things that occurred during her 18 year abduction that began at the age of 11. She wrote in a very straight-forward manner that was easy to follow for the most part. She did have a tendency to ramble at points, especially the parts about her animals, but I probably only think that because I dislike animals and don't want to read about them in any way, shape, or form.



View all my reviews

Source: Library
Challenges: Outdo Yourself, Support Your Local Library

Did Not Finish:
The Eternal Engagement by Mary B. Morrison-I got through 55 pages and just couldn't read anymore. I didn't like or care about any of the characters and had not desire to find out the outcome of the "eternal engagement." Huge snore.

No comments:

Post a Comment